Monday, October 20, 2008

Arkansas State Fair

I took the girls to the State Fair yesterday, and they both loved seeing the animals up close and watching all the action. They were very well-behaved, but it was still difficult to navigate the crowded fairgrounds with two children (and a large stroller) by myself. Gabi has been asking to go to the State Fair again, but unfortunately she'll have to wait a full year because yesterday was the last day for this year's fair.


The girls petting a duckling


Ha, ha! That baby duck makes funny sounds!


Gabi holding a little chick


This chick was only one or two days old
(Note Bella's pointed finger, which she just used to briefly touch the bird.)


Bella checking out the chick hut


Gabi posing by the chick hut


Bella loved seeing all the different rabbit breeds
(She has both a sign and a word - "buh-buh" - for rabbit)


Gabi petting a champagne rabbit


Gabi with the best-of-show market cattle


The girls with the best-of-show market pig


Gabi pretending to be a fish


Four colors of Bengal tigers:
Standard, White, Snow White, and Golden Tabby


When I asked Gabi if she wanted to go to the State Fair, she first asked what was there. Once I told her that animals were at the fair, she immediately decided she wanted to see the tigers. I started to explain that the State Fair didn't have that kind of animal, but Michael reminded me that they do have a tiger show. These tigers are owned by a veterinarian in Florida who does very controlled breeding to keep healthy blood lines. His hope is that the World Wildlife Federation will be able to preserve and restore their natural habitat so tigers can thrive in the wild again, and then they will be able to use these tiger bloodlines to artificially inseminate wild tiger mothers, who can then raise the tiger cubs and teach them to hunt.


Gabi watching a snowy-white tiger play with a keeper


Snow white tiger prowling behind Gabi


Bella drinking milk and watching the carnival rides


Gabi sharing a bite of her snow cone with Bella


Bella more thrilled with the funnel cake than the pig races


Watching the pig races


Gabi riding a carnival ride


I wouldn't let Gabi select the ride because I thought she might be scared of the ones she kept picking. I couldn't ride with her, as I had to stay with Annabelle. I bought tickets for Gabi to ride this car ride, which she really enjoyed, although she continued to remind me that it wasn't the one she wanted. I think she had plenty of fun, anyway.


Gabi waving at me as she "drives" past


Bella at the petting zoo


The goat posing with Gabi


Gabi and another goat


There were so many interesting animals, but the only ones I have good pictures of are these goats. We saw some tiny little goat kids that were half the size of Annabelle, as well as cebu and yaks and a zebra and llamas and a kangaroo and others I couldn't name...


Hello, Mr. Camel


Annabelle running out of the picture


The petting zoo was a small area sectioned off from the crowded fairgrounds, so I let Annabelle out of the stroller. She immediately took off. I tried to take her picture with various animals, but she just wouldn't stay put. That little girl can run! Of course, she doesn't yet take a direct route to wherever she's going (not that she had a destination here). She weaves around and makes sudden turns, which caused a few collisions with random denim-clad adult legs. Bella made plenty of friends, despite my efforts to corral her.


Annabelle more interested in her freedom than in the animals


Annabelle enjoying the chance to walk around on her own


While Bella was having a blast running around in the petting zoo area, Gabi decided she had had enough. It was the end of the day, and we were all tired, but poor Bella needed to exercise her legs. Gabi said she didn't want to see these animals any more, and after she repeated that sentiment a few times, I suggested that she could close her eyes. She took me up on the offer:


Gabi walking around with her eyes closed


Gabi playing air-guitar


As we were leaving the fair, a musical artist on the main stage started playing a guitar. Gabi stopped walking and pretended to strum a guitar with every stroke she heard over the speakers.

A family walked past and commented on how adorable Annabelle was. They all cooed over Bella and then the mom saw Gabi and said she was pretty, too. Gabi took the opportunity to gain everyone's attention by announcing, "I'm 3!" (holding up three fingers). "And I'm going to be 4!" (holding up four fingers) So the family, having been prompted, asks when Gabi will be 4. "On my birthday," Gabi announced, very truthfully, though not very informative.

3 comments:

magda said...

I love Gabi's response to the question of when she'll be four!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Way to navigate the state fair by yourself Lissa! Looks like you all had a great time - I know you esp. enjoyed the tigers!

Anonymous said...

As always, two very cute girls. I especially thought the second picture, (with Bella's response to the duckling's sound) was great. I miss being there for such outings, and am glad you guys had a recent visit here.
Love, Grampa