Sunday, May 18, 2008

Earth Day at the Botanical Gardens

The Atlanta Botanical Gardens had free admission for Earth Day, so playgroup met there. However, the gardens were packed, so we had to park in the neighborhood across the street, Ansley Park, in the heart of Midtown. I was so enthralled by these houses dating back to 1904 that we dawdled. I am especially nostalgic about Atlanta these days since we will soon be moving. (These pictures don't show my favorite houses in the area, but they are the best shots of the girls.)


The girls in Ansley Park (est. 1904)


Silly Sunglasses


Annabelle in the stroller


We were late getting out the door in the first place -- the story of my life. Add that to my tour of Ansley Park, and we reached the gates just in time to say goodbye to Gabi's friends. We enjoyed a nice leisurely stroll and a picnic lunch in the gardens, anyway. It was cool in the morning but warmed up quickly, so I changed Annabelle's outfit during our walk around Ansley Park.


Bella would rather be held, but she's still cute


Maybe I'll plant irises at our new house...


In the Orchid Conservetory


Gabi dancing in front of a Jap Maple


After our visit to the Botanical Gardens, Gabi played on one of the playgrounds in Ansley Park while Bella napped in the stroller.


Gabi's playtime


Annabelle has learned to crawl! She likes to straighten her legs so that she's doing a push-up and then try to walk forward on her toes, but she can also work with the hands-and-knees position. She doesn't quite get that she needs to move her hands forwards as well, so her progress is limited somewhat. She will push forward with her legs and then reach with one arm and dive forward. Repeat that, and she can definitely move.


Annabelle with Gabi's baby doll Ella


Gabi often tells me things that happened in the past and then adds "this morning" or "yesterday" to designate it as a past event. Once she was telling Daddy a story, such as "We ate oatmeal before school this morning" and I told her that, yes, that happened, but not this morning. Then she amended her story to say "We ate oatmeal before school yesterday," to which I gave her the same response. She then told me "Those are my options. 'This morning' or 'yesterday.' Those are my two options." I wish I was recording that. Her tone of voice (and her inflection on "options") was quite funny.


Gabi at the breakfast table


Gabi also started making up words when she doesn't know what something is called. When we were at Lolo and Lola's house, Gabi had a toy perched precariously on the ottoman and I wanted her to move it to the floor. I didn't think she knew the word "ottoman," so I asked her to move it off the chair. Gabi replied, "That's not a chair. It's a kahnt." I tried to tell her it was actually an ottoman, but from then on, she referred to the ottoman as a kahnt. Hey, at least she's consistent... (And I could tell she knew she made that word up. Maybe she just wanted to be the one teaching me a new word.)

Another time she brought me a toy, and I asked her where she found it. "Next to the troot." What is a troot? I never got an answer, just pointing and repeating of her new word "troot." And there was the time she was reading a book to Bella and telling her where all the animals lived. She came to a page with a caterpillar and didn't know where a caterpillar lived, so she said that a caterpillar lived in a "tom." What a very silly three-year-old we have!

7 comments:

magda said...

If you went with the blue, you could have an ND-themed kitchen if you decide to do that later. My order of preference is blue, red, beige.

Nice job on the prospective color change images. How'd you manage that?

Marti said...

I vote for a blue a tad lighter than what you have on the picture....but, anything is better than that wallpaper!

Unknown said...

i'll go against the grain and say the red... i think it gives the kitchen a sense of power... i think a hunter green would go well with the beige, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to side with Kimba (so things are nice and even!) and go with the red! But I like brighter colors anyway. Perhaps a compromise? I've always thought a bright green-turquoise kitchen would be pretty. Ooh, ooh, with copper pots! You do have an unlimited budget, right?

emmbee said...

My order of preference is red, blue, then beige. I could also see a cool green or a warm yellow working in the space, too.

Susan said...

I think the red looks great! It doesn't seem to overpower the rest of the kitchen like one would think.

Also, I am AMAZED at the HGTV Designer Challenge look of those pictures. Impressive!

Anonymous said...

I like the brown/beige or blue.