Wednesday, November 21, 2007

What's in a Name?

One of Michael's co-workers saw a picture of little Annabelle and briefly wondered whose baby it was until it dawned on her that it looked as if someone had taken Michael's face and pasted it on a baby. This little one certainly does look like her daddy!

Bella with fuzzy after-bath baby-powder hair


Gabi coloring


Gabi most enjoys whatever activity we will do with her,
so we colored together (on the same page at the same time).




We went outside to check the mail and found a praying mantis!


Bella smiling at her mobile


We appreciate everyone calling our little one "Bella" after we had already introduced her as "Anna." It took us a long time to sort out what we wanted to call her, I know. I must say that I am especially impressed by all the grandparents, who started calling her Bella as soon as we announced the new nickname.

Apparently Michael initially wanted to use the nickname Bella, but the only time he mentioned that (before her birth) was in the same conversation that he proposed the name "Nabella" -- which was obviously NOT the name we were going to use, and hence I thought the entire discussion was just being silly. I guess I was too focused on deciding between "Annabelle" and "Annabella" to even pay attention to possible nicknames.

We do still like the name Anna, so no worries if you call her Anna (or if you spent your summer cross-stitching elaborate ANNA letters on some cute bibs for her). But she is such a pretty baby that "Bella" just seems to fit her perfectly. And, besides, she already has two cousins named Anna, so it's nice for her to have a distinct name. Plus, using Annabelle and Bella is a good compromise on the ending of her name.


Annabelle's laugh

Michael's Playstation
We had playgroup at a new place called Michael's Playstation, which has inflatable bouncy things. Gabi was a bit wary at first and would only jump if I went with her. Eventually, she got a little braver. Since most of us moms had a baby in addition to a toddler, we got to take turns holding the little ones and assisting the bigger ones.

Me holding Noah (Ben's brother) and Bella


Annabelle at playgroup


Me helping Gabi climb a ladder


Whee! A slide!


Gabi putting puzzles together with Martin and Jonah
(an activity much more in line with Gabi's interests)


Goodbye, bouncy inflatable!


Blogger Login
FYI, loyal blog readers:

Michael and I are considering asking you to sign in before you view our blog, probably starting next week. When we do secure the site, simply email me for a password/invitation.

(And sorry to those of you who ended up in the BCC field of my email to Michael -- I was just trying to send him the list of contacts from my email that I would add to the list, but I pasted the emails in the wrong box. Oops! I need to get some sleep.)

No comments: