Friday, December 5, 2008

Baby It's Cold Outside

It is definitely cold outside these days, although Gabi would still love to jump in the leaves in the front yard all afternoon if I'd let her. I just don't want to stay outside.

Today, Gabi came home from school with black grime all over her light pink outfit and needed a bath. I caught her slurping the bathwater and told her not to drink the bathwater because it's yucky. Gabi replied, "I can't see any yuck." I explained that the water has soap in it and all the dirt that we just washed off her body, but she looked at the apparently clear water and disagreed. Thinking back to the last time I cleaned her bathtub (definitely a full month ago, probably a little longer), I was thankful that she obediently stopped drinking the bathwater even though my rule obviously made no sense to her.


Gabi's favorite food: macaroni and cheese


Unfortunately, Gabi has become a fairly picky eater over the past few months. She refuses to try new foods or eat casseroles or other mixed dishes. Most of the time, she doesn't seem to mind going to bed hungry. Although this is frustrating for us parents, we realize it is a normal stage in child development. I have started making sure there is some item served that Gabi will like, even if it is just apple slices.


Bella, aka Mess Bucket


Annabelle will still eat most anything (except bread... where did she get that?) and likes to feed herself. She's a mess.

Bella always wants to eat, and dinner can never come early enough. One evening when I was trying to delay dinner until Michael was home to eat with us, I picked up Annabelle (who was begging to eat) and tried to distract her, but she signed food and said "hung-y." It was so cute that I served dinner right then.


Bella in Daddy's T-shirt


One night at Lolo and Lola's house, we found ourselves in need of a change of clothes for Bella but we didn't have another outfit for her. Annabelle got to wear Daddy's t-shirt that evening. She actually looked very cute. Lola nicknamed her Yoda.

Bella is also starting to do more on her own. She likes to "cook" with the play kitchen dishes, stirring and then spooning imaginary food into my mouth. When I'm dressing her or putting on her coat, she moves her arms to help me get them in the sleeves. Whenever I put her in the car, she lifts the crotch strap of her car seat up so I can buckle her in.


Gabi napping in the playroom


Gabi actually took a nap three times in the past week, which is unusual. (Oh, but that faded mauve and pea green pillow is ugly... I need to get those things recovered. Michael had an idea to put G-A-B-I on each one since there are four. The original idea was to put A-N-N-A on the other side, but then we decided to call Annabelle "Bella" instead.)

A few people have inquired about Annabelle's reflux medicine, since I mentioned difficulties with insurance in the last post. Yesterday the insurance company approved her prescription (with her doctor's justification), and we now have a full month's supply. We also have an ENT appointment scheduled in a few weeks and her ophthalmology follow-up in early January. But, really, Bella is a happy and active kid who is growing well, so I'm not too worried about her. And, surprisingly, I think she likes her eye drops.


Bella with her giant elephant


Gabi dragged this elephant and half a dozen of Bella's favorite books into one corner of the living room and declared that space to be "Bella's room." The adjacent corner of the living room is "Gabi's room" and houses Gabi's pillows -- one for Gabi and one for Bella, because Gabi lets Bella "sleep" in her "room" and Bella thinks it's fun to lie on pillows wherever they are.


Gabi hanging decorations on the tree


We are slowly decorating our house for Christmas. Each night before bed, Gabi adds a few more ornaments to the tree. Our Christmas tree now has plenty of decorations on the lower three feet. In this picture, Daddy picked Gabi up so we could start decorating the higher branches as well.

I hung our stocking on the mantle. Michael and I each have a fantastic personalized stocking that my mom made (on loan from her), but the girls just have those standard fuzzy red-and-white stockings. For years I have intended to make stockings for my family...


Girls "helping" Daddy


Annabelle loves the stepstool and tries to climb up behind whoever is using it, whether Gabi is on it to help me cook or I am trying to change a light bulb. Here, Daddy was adjusting the angel tree-topper. When we first set up the Christmas tree, Gabi immediately started talking about putting a bird on it. We didn't have a tree-topper, so I took the girls to Hobby Lobby to buy one at the 50% off sale. I couldn't find a bird tree-topper, so I let Gabi select between an angel and a star; she chose the angel.

No comments: