Thursday, October 18, 2007

Autumn Art

Gabi helped me carve the pumpkin. She liked the seeds and the pumpkin chunks that I cut out for the face, but she wanted to wash her hands immediately after touching the slimy insides (with just one finger!) that I scooped out. After I carved the eyes and nose, Gabi requested lips. I suggested a mouth, but she sais, "No, lips!" Hence, the lips...
Gabi and Bella with our pumpkin
Our girls posing with the jack-o-lantern

Gabi and Bella with our pumpkin

Gabi likes the pumpkin's "hat," which fits on top like a puzzle piece.

Gabi looking inside the hollow pumpkin

Gabi put the sticker-faces on the pumpkin.
Gabi put the stickers on all by herself.

Gabi put the sticker-faces on the pumpkin.

Gabi put the sticker-faces on the pumpkin.

We also made some art indoors. Gabi loves painting and stamps. She can use the sponges by herself, and I helped her use some real daisies to make their imprint as well.

Gabi painting with sponge stamps

Gabi also found some stamps meant for ink instead of paint, which she was most excited about despite our lack of an inkpad. She pretended to stamp all over her arms and hands. In fact, Gabi is so enamored of stamps that she will use whatever object she finds, be it a rubber duck or a scrap of paper, to pretend to put stamps on my arms and legs, especially while I am feeing Annabelle.

Gabi found stamps for her hands.

And where is little Bella during all this? Well, she likes to be held, so I tend to carry her around in the baby sling. That frees my hands to help our toddler with her artwork.

Bella in the baby sling
(picture taken with my new gorillapod)

This week, playgroup was at Scott Park. Gabi loves to explore the community garden adjacent to the playground. Here, she is holding a giant squash. (I called it a zucchini, although it is labled "winter squash.")

Gabi with a giant squash at Scott Park

One of Gabi's teachers at school just had twins, so the kids' moms all pitched in for a gift. I bought these baskets and took them up to school to put each child's handprint on them. The kids loved taking turns selecting a color and making a handprint!

Gabi's class with baskets for her teacher

Recently, we pulled out all Gabi's old baby toys for little Annabelle. She was thrilled the first time she saw the mobile on her crib. She still doesn't usually sleep well alone on her back, so for me, the most exciting discovery is that Bella will actually sleep in the baby swing (if I can get Gabi to leave her alone), so I don't always have to carry her around everywhere!


Annabelle visually tracking the animals in their circular travels



Bella entertained by her play gym
Bella entertained by her play gym

1 comment:

K said...

A perfect idea for the teacher's baby gift! So cute!!